•  Address:
    44001 Garfield Road
    Clinton Township, MI
  •  Building Maps

The Right Connection - Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence

Click on each title below to see detailed information.

The options for a female who has been domestically assaulted are:

  1. Get herself (and her children) to a safe place.
  2. Contact the police department in the city where the assault took place to file a complaint.
  3. Seek medical treatment, if necessary. If there has been sexual abuse, it is extremely important to seek medical attention.
  4. Obtain information about emergency shelter, counseling services and legal rights as a victim of domestic violence from Turning Point, (586) 463-6990.
  5. Legal rights include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a Personal Protection Order (PPO) which is an injunctive order to prohibit a person from specified conduct, including "stalking" which is defined as "a willful course of conduct involving repeated or continuing harassment of another individual . . ." (MCLA 650.411h). A PPO restrains or prohibits the respondent from certain behaviors such as:

    - Following or appearing within proximity of her person.
    - Approaching her in any fashion, such as a public place, workplace, residence, or on private property.
    - Entering onto or remaining on property she owns, leases or occupies.
    - Contacting her by telephone, mail, or electronic communications.
    - Placing an object on, or delivering an object to property she owns, leases or occupies.
    - Threatening to kill or inflict physical injury on her.
    - Remove children if she has full physical legal custody.

    (More and specific details on PPOs can be obtained by calling the Macomb County PPO Assistance Center, (586) 469-7494.)
  6. If financial loss has been experienced due to a personal injury as a result of being a victim of crime, crime victims compensation may be available. Call (586) 469-5675.
  7. Obtain a copy of the police incident report for the case by contacting the local law enforcement agency.
  8. Contact the police agency to ascertain the status of the complaint.
  9. If the suspect has been arrested, a bond may be set and the suspect may be released. Call the local police agency or the Macomb County Sheriff's Department at (586) 469-5151 to find out if the suspect is still in custody.
Free temporary emergency shelter for female victims of domestic violence and their children, advocacy and counseling services are available from Turning Point, (586) 463-6990 (24-hour line).

24 hour support for victims of domestic violence is available from Turning Point which offers counselors who can provide support, safety planning, information and advocacy within the court system, and counseling for children and adults. Call Turning Point (586) 463-6990 (24 hour line).

Individual or group counseling for victims of domestic violence call Turning Point at (586) 463-4430.

Comprehensive services for batterers are available using the Alternative to Domestic Aggression (ADA) model. Five levels of care    are provided: assessment; referrals for detoxification; inpatient and outpatient psychiatric services; monitoring of outpatient substance abuse treatment; intensive outpatient group treatment with educational and therapeutic components; and individual outpatient treatment.

With male perpetrators of battering, it has been recognized that the preferred service modality involves group treatment, individual treatment may be provided in cases where individuals have a medical or mental impairment, an acute psychiatric disorder, or significant language barrier which would interfere with group participation (source: Governor’s Task Force for Batterer Intervention Standards for Michigan). Referrals may be made through the courts; Macomb County Crisis Center, (586) 307-9100; Turning Point, (586) 463-6990; or self-referral. Available from:

Macomb Family Services (586) 226-3440
Macomb Batterers' Intervention Program (586) 466-5960
Catholic Charities of SE Michigan (586) 416-2300
New Haven Community Services (810) 734-4082