•  Address:
    44001 Garfield Road
    Clinton Township, MI
  •  Building Maps

The Right Connection - Financial and Emergency Assistance

Financial and Emergency Assistance

Click on each title below to see detailed information.

Emergency support (State Emergency Relief) offers financial assistance to low-income households that are normally able to make ends meet but occasionally need help when unexpected emergency situations arise.

Available from:  Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

Mt. Clemens District
(586) 469-7700
serving Chesterfield Twp., Clinton
Twp., Harrison Twp., Mt. Clemens,
New Baltimore, St. Clair Shores            

Sterling Heights District
(586) 254-1500
serving Armada, Bruce, Lenox, Macomb,
Memphis, New Haven, Ray, Richmond,
Romeo, Shelby, Sterling Heights, Utica,
Washington Township

Warren District
(586) 427-0600
serving Center Line, Eastpointe,
Fraser, Roseville, and Warren.              

Screening of clients from member churches of the Good Shepherd Coalition and help in directing the clients to appropriate resources.  When a client's need exceeds available resources, a search for available funds is made to meet the emergency. Available from the Good Shepherd Coalition, (586) 307-8888 (Office hours are Monday - Thursday from 9:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.)

Help with basic necessities for Macomb County children who are homeless or living below poverty level is available from the Macomb Charitable Foundation, http://www.macombcharitablefoundation.org/

List of Macomb County Flexible Funds:  https://sites.google.com/site/mciacweb/documents

Financial help for individuals and families who are down on their luck and need extra help.  Available from Neighbors Unlimited.  The Assistance Application is posted at:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZzVCBdcyc-mXP2FyBVRSZ4uPoApzGEcJEDtTPXgeLKc/edit

A general reference source about the employment-related provisions of Social Security Disability Insurance and the Supplemental Security Income Programs for educators, advocates, rehabilitation professionals, and counselors who serve people with disabilities is available in the 2015 Red Book, a guide to Work Incentives and other disability-related policies and programs, like Ticket to Work. Available online at:http://www.nasuad.org/hcbs/article/2015-red-book

Information on various federal and state tax credits and deductions available to low-and moderate-income households is available in the booklet Money Back in Michigan: http://www.mlpp.org/publications-reports/money-back-in-michigan

Money management including a confidential analysis of the size and nature of debt, creation of a plan to reduce that debt, advocacy with creditors, negotiation of payment rates and terms, processes of payments to creditors, and education on managing money.  Available from Green Path Solutions with offices in Eastpointe and Utica.

Financial wellness services including free debt and credit counseling, access to financial educational tools and resources and debt management services to help lower interest rates and payments. Available from GreenPath Financial Wellness, (800) 944-5537 or https://www.greenpath.org

To apply for a Bridge Card to purchase certain food products and access cash benefits at a number of retailers and ATMs throughout the state, contact the local Department of Health and Human Services for current rules and services:

Department of Health and Human Services
Mt. Clemens District
(586) 469-7700
serving Mt. Clemens, Clinton Twp., Harrison Twp.,
St. Clair Shores, New Baltimore, Chesterfield
Sterling Heights District
(586) 254-1500
serving Armada, Bruce, Lenox, Macomb, Memphis 48041,
New Haven, Ray, Richmond, Rochester 48306, Romeo, Shelby,
Sterling Hgts., Utica, Washington
Warren District 
(586) 427-0600
serving Center Line, Eastpointe, Fraser, Roseville, Warren.

Subsidies for child care services for qualifying families who have children under age 13. Available from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Eligibility:

  • A family with low income
  • A licensed foster parent requesting care for foster children
  • A member of a MDHHS protective services case participating in a treatment plan
  • A FIP Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient
  • • A FIP applicant doing a required work participation program activity

The family must have a child care need at application because of:

  • Work
  • High school completion classes (including General Educational Development (GED), adult basic education, and English as a second language)
  • Approved education or training
  • Approved treatment activities for a health or social condition

The actual CDC payment amount may not cover all child care expenses. DHHS pays part of the cost of child care for approved families. The family is responsible for any child care costs not covered by the CDC program.  The State of Michigan Child Development and care handbook is posted at:  www.michigan.gov/childcare

For more information about child care benefits, go to page 5, “Child Development and Care (CDC)” in the following document:


To apply for child care benefits online, go to:


The completed and signed application must be received by the local DHHS office where the person lives before eligibility is determined:

Department of Health and Human Services

Mt. Clemens District
(586) 469-7700
serving Chesterfield, Clinton Twp., Harrison Twp.,
Mt. Clemens, New Baltimore, St. Clair Shores
Sterling Heights District 
(586) 254-1500
serving Armada, Bruce, Lenox, Ray, Richmond, Romeo, Shelby,
Sterling Hgts., Utica, Washington Twp.
Warren District
(586) 427-0600
serving Center Line, Eastpointe, Fraser,
Roseville, Warren.
To find out if you are eligible for food stamps, call the Food and Nutrition Program Hotline Monday - Friday 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. for a free, confidential screening at (800) 481-4989.

Emergency food items for households experiencing a sudden loss of income or other household budget crisis is available from Macomb Community Services Agency Food Program, call (586) 469-6004, Monday - Friday, 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. for the location of the pantry nearest to the family’s home.

Emergency support and services for needy individuals and families, such as shelter and utility payments, and clothing.  Available at Community Action Centers:

North Center, New Haven
(586) 749-5146
serving Armada, Bruce Twp.,  Chesterfield, Macomb,
Shelby Twp., New Baltimore, Lenox, Memphis, New Haven,
Ray, Richmond, the Macomb section of Rochester, Romeo,
Washington. (Communities north of 23 Mile Road)
Central Center, Mt. Clemens
(586) 469-6964
serving Clinton Twp., Fraser, Harrison Twp., Mt. Clemens,
Chesterfield, Shelby, Macomb, New Baltimore,
St Clair Shores, Selfridge ANG Base, Sterling Hgts.,
Utica (Communities north of 14 Mile Road and south of 23
Mile Road)
South Center, Warren
(586) 759-9150
serving Center Line, Eastpointe, Roseville,
and Warren. (Communities south of
14 Mile Road)

Assistance for individuals and families to resolve or prevent homelessness (money for rent, security deposits, and moving expenses). Court-ordered Summons or Judgement is required for proof of emergency. The total housing obligation cannot exceed 75% of the individual/family’s total net countable income and subsidy is based on family size. For more information, go to: http://michigan.gov/mshda/0,4641,7-141-5515---,00.html  (Households facing an immediate crisis may also be assisted by the Macomb Homeless Coalition, (586) 213-5757).

Case management, technical assistance, and coordination of services for adults who are mentally ill, substance abusers or dually diagnosed. Funding can include security deposit, up to 4 months rent, and may include some incidental costs as determined by the case manager. To qualify:

  • must be 18 years or older,

  • current or last residence must be in Macomb County,

  • must be homeless or in immediate risk of becoming homeless

  • must participate in treatment while services are being offered.

For more information, call Supportive Housing Project/HUD, (586) 469-6152.

Financial help to crime victims who are injured or have lost income because of the crime. Applications are available at the Macomb County Prosecuting Attorney's Victim-Witness Rights Unit, (586) 469-5675. To receive compensation:

  • The crime must have happened in Michigan.

  • A police report must have been made within 48 hours of the crime, except for good cause, and the victim must cooperate with the investigation.

  • Victims must have suffered actual body harm (this may include pregnancy)

  • Victims cannot have contributed to the infliction of the injury nor have been responsible for, or an accomplice, to the crime.

  • Victims must have at least $200 out-of-pocket medical or rehabilitative expenses and/or a loss of two continuous weeks of earnings or support.

  • The claim must be filed within one year of the crime.

  • In the case of death, a claim may be filed by a family member. This may include funeral expenses.

  • Expenses or losses covered by personal insurance or that can be paid by another source will not be covered.

  • Incomplete applications can result in long delays in claim determination. Most claims will be processed within 12 to 16 weeks.

  • Minimum loss requirements may be waived for victims retired by reason of age or disability and for some victims of criminal sexual conduct.

The Victim - Witness program also helps in filing for Michigan Crime Victim Compensation which provides help in obtaining emergency services such as food, housing and clothing; makes referrals to other community agencies for additional help; provides information on how the Court works and the status of a particular case; goes with the victim to Court when requested; provides assistance in returning personal property to victims; provides victims an opportunity to express their feelings about their case to the judges at the time of sentencing; and provides information on obtaining restitution.

Assistance with prescription drug costs is available from/or at the following programs:

VA Benefits          
(800) 827-1000 or (313) 576-1000
Prescriptions are available for low-income veterans at no charge. If income is over a certain limit, there is a charge for the script.  Registration required.
Medical Outreach Clinic
(800) 493-3640
A customized van providing free medical care and free prescriptions to homeless, low-income, and uninsured working persons.  A schedule of the van’s locations is posted at: http://www.mclaren.org/macomb/free-clinic-services.aspx (Open the link and then click on the “Mobile Outreach Schedule” - a schedule of locations will be displayed).
Neighbors Caring for Neighbors Clinics
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Washington:  (586) 336-9288
Clinton Twp.:  (586) 649-6104
For persons of all ages, including low-income and the uninsured. Charges are based on the patient's ability to pay. Medical services provided by Nurse Practitioners treat both acute illnesses and chronic conditions, including exams, lab tests, X-rays, referrals, and prescriptions.
Community First Health Services,
New Haven
 (586) 749-5173
Provides services for the homeless (includes persons in transitional housing, motels and those "doubling up"). Services include primary health care, emergency dental, vision, prescriptions, and substance abuse services.
Macomb Action Centers
North: (586) 749-5146
Central: (586) 469-6964
South: (586) 759-9150
Emergency funds to assist with prescription costs for Macomb County residents in their service area who have no other coverage, also for items not covered by Medicaid. Income must be below 125% of the poverty level. These payments count toward a monthly spend-down requirement for Medicaid.
Tax relief for people who are unable to pay all or part of their property taxes due to their financial situation ("Property Tax Hardship Exemption") is available in every community in Macomb County.  Call for income eligibility:        
Community Telephone Meeting required?
Armada Twp. (586) 784-5200 No
Bruce Twp. (586) 752-4585 ext. 23 No
Chesterfield Twp. (586) 949-0400 ext. 6 No
Clinton Twp. (586) 286-9468 Meeting with assessor
Center Line (586) 757-6800 Yes
Eastpointe (586) 445-5005 No
Fraser (586) 293-3104 No
Harrison Twp. (586) 466-1410 No
Lenox Twp. (586) 727-2085, then press 1 No
Macomb Twp. (586) 992-0710, then press 3 No
Memphis (810) 392-2385 No
Mt. Clemens (586) 469-6318 ext. 4 No
New Baltimore (586) 725-2151 ext. 106 No
Ray Twp. (586) 749-5171 ext. 207 No, but has to be done in March
Richmond (586) 727-7571, then press 2, and then press 2 again No
Richmond Twp. (586) 727-8998 Yes
Roseville (586) 445-5430 No
St. Clair Shores (586) 445-3355

Yes March, July, December only

Shelby Twp. (586) 731-5910 No
Sterling Hgts. (586) 446-2340 No
Utica (586) 739-1600 Yes
Warren (586) 574-5432 No
Washington Twp. (586) 786-0016 ext. 3 No

A federally-funded loan program designed to help eligible homeowners who are struggling with their mortgage, condo association fees, and/or property taxes retain ownership of their primary residence.  The program only provides funds to help homeowners catch up on delinquent mortgage, property taxes, or condo fees. To find out if the person qualifies, go to: https://www.stepforwardmichigan.org/en/do-i-qualify/

If qualified, click on “APPLY NOW” and follow the step-by-step instructions. Once the online application is completed, print and follow the instructions to submit the application with required supporting documents.

Persons without access to a computer, call (866) 946-7432 for assistance.

Available from the Step Forward Michigan loan program which provides interest-free loans of up to $30,000 to assist with mortgage, property taxes, and/or condominium association fees. These loans are forgivable at 20% each year, as long as the property remains the homeowner’s primary residence. This means that if a homeowner remains in their home for 5 years or more after the loan is granted, they do not have to repay the  loan. (866) 946-7432. https://www.stepforwardmichigan.org/en/about-us/

Small amounts of funds/emergency vouchers for a hotel for a day or two are available from some Salvation Army Corps but each Corps is different. Call your local Salvation Army Corps and ask what they can provide. The main locations in Macomb are:

Warren (586) 755-5191
Sterling Heights (586) 264-0913
Utica (586) 2545674
Center Line (586 759-2090
Clinton Township (586) 954-1838

Financial assistance and mentoring to Michigan families with children who are 18 years or younger and have lost a parent to death within the last two years.  The parent or guardian needs to contact the Foundation and go through an application process which includes an interview in their offices in Bloomfield.  Each family’s needs are considered individually. Available from Yatooma’s Foundation for the Kids, http://forthekidsfoundation.org/

Repaired damaged vehicles, bringing them back to “like-new” condition, and then giving them to single parents. Qualifying families in need of a vehicle are identified with the support from reliable, local non-profit organizations, churches, and individuals. The application is available at: https://www.collexwheelsofhope.org/

Money for unpaid hospital bills may be applied for at the hospital where the service was received. All non-profit hospitals must provide charity care to the poor in order to maintain their tax exempt status. Make application for charity care with the hospital even if it is a past service. (If the patient is a child, the parent can apply for retroactive Medicaid for the child for three months back. There is no asset test for children. The income limit for children is 150% of poverty.)

Workshops that help individuals/families understand the importance of creating a spending plan, saving for emergencies and paying down debt.  Participants set personal and financial goals, learn the process of buying and maintaining a home, understand credit reports, rebuild credit, and become a confident investor. To register, call Macomb Community Action, (586) 469-7614.  http://msue.macombgov.org/MSUE-Programs-HousingFinancialEducation

Money management services including a confidential analysis of the size and nature of debt, creation of a plan to reduce that debt, advocacy with creditors, negotiation of payment rates and terms, processes of payments to creditors, and education on managing money. Available from Green Path Solutions with offices in Eastpointe and Utica, (800) 994-5537 or www.greenpath.com

Bill payment services to families who have suffered significant income loss as a result of a cancer diagnosis. Short-term financial grants, for basic living expenses, on behalf of cancer patients who have lost all or a part of their income during active treatment are available.  Qualified applicants must have either a parent or child currently undergoing cancer treatment and must have dependent children under the age of 18 living in the home.  To apply for assistance, contact the oncology social worker at your hospital who can help you begin the application process.  Available from New Day Foundation for Families, http://www.foundationforfamilies.org/we-can-help/programs/

Financial assistance or referrals to other financial resources for patients with all types of cancer are available from the American Cancer Society, (800) 227-2345.  http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/app/resource-search#

Financial assistance for child/children dealing with cancer (reimbursable items include: housing/rent/mortgage, home/ auto repair, transportation, clothing/personal items, utilities, groceries/food, tutoring, scholarship, photography). Available from Angels of Hope, a non-profit family cancer organization based in metro Detroit which aids families throughout Michigan. The application for assistance is posted online at: http://www.angelsofhope.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Angels_of_Hope_Grant_Application.pdf

Assistance for heat or electricity for low income households. Maximum amount is $750 per heat or electric utility type, $1500 on combined utilities, and $375 for deliverable fuels. A shut-off notice is required or the household is enrolled in the Winter Protection Plan with their utility company. Applicants must apply for other available assistance, including Stae Emergency Relief (SER), in order to become eligible. The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) can pay the client required payment or co-payment or can pay the amount over SER cap that is necessary to quality the client to receive SER. Program begins in November and ends in January. The intake point for THAW funds is the Department of Health and Human Services local offices and other locations:

Mt. Clemens District
(586) 469-7700

serving Mt. Clemens, Clinton
Township, Harrison Twp., St. Clair
Shores, New Baltimore,
Cheserfield 48047
Sterling Heights District
(586) 254-1500

serving Armada, Chesterfield,
48051, Leonx, Macomb, Memphis
48041, New Haven, Ray,
Richmond, Rochester 48306,
Romeo, Shelby, Sterling Hgts.,
Utica, Washington.
Warren District
(586) 427-0600

serving Center Line,
Eastpointe, Fraser, Roseville,

Other utility services are available at Macomb Community Action Centers:

North Center, New Haven
(586) 749-5146
serving Armada, Bruce Twp., Chesterfield, Macomb, Shelby Twp., New Baltimore, Lenox, Memphis, New Haven, Ray, Richmdon, the Macomb section of Rochester, Romeo, Washington
(Communiti4es north of 23 Mile Rd.)
Central Center, Mt. Clemens
(586) 469-6964
serving Clinton /tpw., Fraser, Harrison Twp., Mt. Clemns, Chesterfield, Shelby, Macomb, New Baltimore, St. Clair Shores, Selfridge ANG Base, STerling Hgts., Utica
(Communities north of 14 Mile Road and south of 23 Mile Road)
South Center, Warren
(586) 427-0600
serving Cent4er Line, Eastpointe, Roseville, and Warren
(Communities south of 14 Mile Road)

Emergency financial assistance to soldiers and their immediate family members is available from the Military Family Assistance Center or Family Readiness Support Assistant. To download the application, go to:  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Application_Form_128132_7.pdf or call (517) 481-8358 for information about the application process.

Financial assistance for wounded, ill, and injured Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) honorably discharged veterans with a VA disability rating and who are experiencing an unexpected financial setback.  Money is available for mortgage, rent, auto loan, auto insurance, electric, natural gas, heating petroleum. All past due bills must be at least 30 days in arrears to qualify.  Available from the Military Heroes Fund. Only one emergency financial request per household and one time only. To apply, download the Emergency Financial Assistance Application from:  www.penfedfoundation.org and email to: militaryheroes@penfed.org

Temporary financial aid for honorably discharged veterans when an unforeseen situation has caused a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve and can show that they will be able to meet future expenses is available from the Veterans Relief Fund. For more information, contact Macomb County Veterans Services, (586) 469-5315 (By appointment only).

Temporary financial aid for honorably discharged veterans when an unforeseen situation has caused a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve and can show that they will be able to meet future expenses.  Available from the Veterans Trust Fund. For more information, contact the Macomb County Veterans Services, (586) 469-5315 (By appointment only)

Organizations that help people with cancer who are facing financial challenges.

Contact these organizations directly to learn more about the specific programs and services available:

  • An online-tool on key topics that may impact a person with cancer's financial situation. Available from Cancer in the Family Relief Fund: http://www.cancerfamilyrelieffund.org/Mission.html
  • The Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition (CFAC) is a group of national organizations that provide financial help to patients, including a searchable database of financial resources. https://www.cancerfac.org
  • Limited financial assistance for co-pays, transportation, home care, and child care. It also provides a list of sources for financial assistance and a database of organizations providing financial or practical help. Available from CancerCare (800) 813-4673. https://www.cancercare.org
  • Medication assistance for under-insured patients with chronic or life-altering diseases. Eligible costs: prescription co-pays, health insurance premiums, deductibles and co-insurance, pediatric treatment costs, travel costs. Available from the HealthWell Foundation (800) 675-8416.  https://www.healthwellfoundation.org
  • A patient financial aid program (800) 955-4572 provides limited financial assistance to help defray treatment-related expenses for patients diagnosed with a blood cancer, such as leukemia, lymphoma, or multiple myeloma, who have a significant financial need. Available from The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  https://www.lls.org/support/financial-support
  • A fund raising consultant is available to help assess financial needs, explain the expenses the patient will likely incur and work on funding for the following (hospital bills and deposits, pharmacy costs, insurance premiums, patient and caregiver travel, food and lodging expenses, lost wages for living donors, post-transplant medical expenses for living donors, and living donor travel assistance. Additionally, contributions donated to the National Foundation for Transplants can be used for patients to meet the financial requirements for initial placement on the organ transplant waiting list.  https://transplants.org/get-help
  • Grants for children whose parent or guardian is struggling with a diagnosis of cancer. These grants support the children's extracurricular activities so that they may feel some sense of normalcy as their parent focuses on treatment and recovery. Available from the Cancer in the Family Relief Fund.  http://www.cancerfamilyrelieffund.org