•  Address:
    44001 Garfield Road
    Clinton Township, MI
  •   Building Maps

The Right Connection - Veterans


In addition to the specific services listed in this chapter for which only veterans are eligible, veterans may be eligible for services listed in all the other chapters

Click on each title below to see detailed information.


Assistance in finding services is available from:

Department of Veteran’s Services
Clinton Twp.

(586) 469-5315


Disabled American Veterans

(888) 448-2328


Vietnam Veterans of America

(800) VVA-MICH
(800) 882-6424


Michigan Veteran’s Membership/Service Organizations:

American Legion (313) 964-6640 www.legion.org/posts
AMVETS (877) 726-8387 www.amvets.org/
Catholic War Veterans   https://www.cwv.org/
Disabled American Veterans (313) 964-6595 http://www.dav.org/
Department of MichiganMarine Corps League (800) 283-3448 www.michiganmarines.org/
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (212) 982-9699 http://iava.org/
Military Order of the Purple Heart Joseph Didia (586) 757-5844   www.purpleheart.org/
Motor City Chapter of the Women Marines Association E-mail only: WMAMI2@yahoo.com



Polish Legion of American Veterans (586) 943-0514



Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) (517) 485-9456 www.vfw.org/
Veterans of Modern Warfare (888) 445-9891 https://www.veteranownedbusiness.com/1365/veterans-of-modern-warfare-vmw
Vietnam Veterans of America (800) VVA-MICH (800) 882-6424 www.vva.org/


Flow Charts to help locate Macomb services for homeless veterans and those at risk of homelessness to locate prevention, temporary or permanent housing is posted at: http://mvac.macombgov.org/mvac-resources


Outreach, case management, financial assistance and assistance in obtaining VA and other benefits (“Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program”) is available to low-income qualifying veterans and their families who are in or transitioning to permanent housing. Eligibility requirements:

Be a veteran

A veteran is defined as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable . Must meet VA eligibility requirements as described in www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/epublications.asp.

Family situation

Be a Veteran who is a single person or a family in which the head of household, or the spouse of the head of household, is a Veteran

Very low-income

50% area median income

Living situation

  1. Currently homeless
  2. Scheduled to become resident of permanent housing within 90 days pending the location or development of suitable permanent housing or
  3. Currently homeless, exited permanent housing within the previous 90 days in order to seek housing more responsive to needs and preferences
  4. Imminently at-risk of becoming homeless

(For Community Housing Network only - a veteran who is “couch surfing” is considered to be homeless.)

The qualifications for the SSVF Rapid Re-housing resource offered by Community Housing Network is based on income under 50% AMI and their prevention services are based on income under 30% AMI. CHN considers a veteran who is “couch surfing” to be homeless.

Community Housing Network services do not provide long-term case management. However, if the veteran can get into the VA HUDVASH program, VA HUDVASH will provide long-term case management. For more information on the VA HUDVASH program, contact the HUD Director of Homeless Programs, (313) 576-1000 ext. 64249.





Training & Treatment Innovations (TTI)
(TTI) Sterling Heights Office
1225 E. Big Beaver Rd.
Troy, MI 48083
(866) 787-6734

Macomb, Oakland, Jackson, Saginaw, Lapeer and Genesee Counties (Serves veteran families who live in Macomb and plan to move to one of the other counties listed above or if they live in any of the counties above and who plan to move to Macomb County.)

The Case Manager for Macomb is moble and will meet the veteran at the location convenient for the veteran.

TTI Sterling Heights Office 1225 E. Big Beaver Rd. Troy, Mi 48083 (866) 787-6734 

The Case Manager for Macomb is mobile and will meet the Veteran at a convenient location for the Veteran.

Southwest Housing Solutions
1600 Porter St.
Detroit, MI 48216
(313) 481-7900

Macomb County (This program can serve veteran families who live in Macomb but plan to move to any other county in Michigan or who live in any other county in Michigan and plan to move to Macomb County.)

Disability Network Oakland Macomb
1709 John R Rd.
Troy, MI 48083
(586) 268-4160
Ask for Sian Washington
(586) 996-2232

Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties
(Serves veteran families who live in Macomb and plan to move to one of the other
counties listed above  or they  live in any of the counties above and plan to move to Macomb
County.)  The Case Manager for Macomb is mobile and will meet the
veteran at a location convenient for the veteran.

Oakland Livingston Human Services
Agency (OLHSA)
196 Cesar E. Chavez Ave.
Pontiac, MI 48342
Bobbi Benton, (248) 935-9834

Macomb, Oakland, Livingston, Shiawassee, Washtenaw, Genesee
(Serves veteran families who live in Macomb and plan to move to one of the
other counties listed above or they live in any of the counties above and plan to
move to Macomb County.)

The Case Manager for Macomb is mobile and will meet the veteran at a location
convenient for the veteran.


Help in locating suitable housing for veterans and their spouse (rent or buy) is available from Vets Constructing Communities Foundation, (586) 777-2115.

Transitional housing for veterans who are homeless or threatened with eviction.  Other services available are: meals, job placement, substance abuse counseling, case management, medical screening, VA benefits guidance, legal help, academic opportunities, life skills, and entertainment. Available from Vets Returning Home, Roseville, (586) 285-5606. http://vetsreturninghome.org/

Personalized one-on-one help in matching the housing needs of veterans (of any war eras) and their dependents. Housing options include: help in qualifying for a mortgage, the purchase of a home at a discount, a lease-to-own arrangement, or locating rental property. Available from Veterans Constructing Communities Foundation, (586) 469-8900. The application for assistance may be completed online at: http://www.vcc.foundation/

A free week of stay at a bed and breakfast for War on Terror military personnel who have endured physical and/or mental wounds from serving this country and their most immediate family (up to eight persons) to relax, recoup, and reenergize from the stress of their current rehab and duties. The house is located on Orchard Lake near Rogers City, Michigan. For more information, call Terry at (734) 812-1500. www.blumslanding.org

Mortgage-free homes for 1 - 3 years and supportive services to veterans and military families. Go to www.homesonthehomefront.org and complete the program application. The applications are reviewed and a recipient is selected. The selected family resides in the home for 1 - 3 years and participates in a customized transition plan, including financial counseling and savings planning. Available from Homes on the Homefront, (210) 659-7756 (Texas).

Free smoke alarm inspection and installation for veterans that  don’t have smoke alarms, those that have smoke alarms that no longer work properly and for those that have smoke alarms that are over 10 years old. Will install one smoke alarm for each floor of home and will provide smoke alarms for the hearing and visually impaired on a case-by-case basis. Available from the American Red Cross at (313) 494-3432 to schedule an appointment.

Free lawn care for the families of currently deployed military personnel, and post 9/11 disabled veterans with a service-connected disability.  To register, go the following website: https://projectevergreen.org/about-the-program-military families/

Free snow removal for the families of currently deployed military personnel, and post 9/11 disabled veterans with a service-connected disability.  To register, go the following website: https://projectevergreen.org/about-the-program-military-families/

Exemption from property taxes for a disabled veteran or their surviving unmarried spouse is available for residents of Michigan who meet one of the following criteria:  

  1. Have been determined by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veteran’s benefits at the 100% rate;
  2. Have a certificate from the U.S. Veterans Administration or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary assistance due to disability for speciality adapted housing;
  3. Has been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as individually unemployable.

Contact the Assessing Department of your local City or Township for the application deadline.

To start the process, go to:  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/5107STCAffidavit_441749_7.pdf and complete the affidavit. Also needed is a copy of the disability exemption from the VA. Call the City or Township in which the veteran lives to see if they want them mailed or brought into their office. 


Telephone number

Armada Twp.

(586) 784-5200

Bruce Twp.

(586) 752-4585 ext. 23

Chesterfield Twp.

(586) 949-0400 ext. 6

Clinton Twp.

(586) 286-9468

Center Line

(586) 757-6800


(586) 445-5005


(586) 293-3100

Harrison Twp.

(586) 466-1410

Lenox Twp.

(586) 727-2085, then press 1

Macomb Twp.

(586) 992-0710, then press option 1


(810) 392-2385

Mt. Clemens

(586) 469-6818 ext. 4

New Baltimore

(586) 725-2151, ext. 106

New Haven Call Lenox Township (586) 727-2085 then press 1

Ray Twp.

(586) 749-5171, ext. 207


(586) 727-7571, then press 2, and then press 2 again

Richmond Twp.

(586) 727-8998

Romeo (586) 752-3565 then ask to speak to the treasurer


(586) 445-5430

St. Clair Shores

(586) 447-3355

Sterling Heights (586) 446-2340


(586) 739-1600, ask for the Assessor who is only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 - 7 P.M.  


(586) 574-4532

Washington Twp.

(586) 786-0010, then press 3


Flow Charts to help locate Macomb education, training and employment services is posted at: http://mvac.macombgov.org/mvac-resources 

Registration on the Michigan Talent Bank and contact with a local Veteran Employment Specialist is available in Michigan Works! Service Centers. Registering on the Michigan Talent Bank makes your résumé available to thousands of employers statewide. The Macomb County Michigan Works! Service Centers and contact information:

Mt. Clemens
75 N. River Road
Mt. Clemens, MI  48043
(586) 783-7803
Fedilias McFall
Email: mcfallf@michigan.gov
15950 12 Mile Rd.
Roseville, MI 48066
(586) 447-9222
Mark Meadows
Email:  meadowsm@michigan.gov
Clinton Township
43630 Hayes Rd., #100
Clinton Township, MI  48038
(586) 286-9514
Jeffrey W. Risdon
Email:  risdonj@michigan.gov

Internet site to help veterans with their transition by helping them find work using the skills they gained in military service. Experienced professionals always get free access to jobs. https://silentprofessionals.org/

A free monthly meeting for veterans interested in starting or improving their business, including a forum for the exchange of ideas, networking and promotion, of the business, and information to help a veteran start a business more successfully.  Available from Veterans in Business (Bloomfield Township). Pre-registration is required.  Program: Wednesdays: 11:30 - 11:45: networking and lunch; 11:45 - 1:30 P.M. meeting and guest presentation. For more information, call Randy Whitmore at  (248) 930-6420 or go to: veteransinbusiness@earthlink.net.


A ten-week parent education program for military families with children ages 1 - 6 who have or are currently deployed is available from the Judson Center. For more information, contact Karen Smith, (734) 936-2627 or strongfamilies@umich.edu (Up to $90.00 offered for course completion and evaluation.)


Support group and recreational activities for brain injury survivors, family members, friends and caregivers available in Macomb County and special event locations in Oakland and Wayne Counties. Available from Macomb Chapter Brain Injury Association of Michigan, call Marty Zobrovitz, (586) 774-0135, or e-mail:biamimacomb@aol.com


Free help with family finances, resolving financial problems, and reaching longterm goals. Topics covered are: blended Retirement Plans, developing personal plans, credit and debt management, Tricare and Healthcare finances. The impact of International finances on your future. Contact: Gary Salach, Selfridge MI, PFC2.MI.NG@zeiders.com, (571) 421-6001.

Free one-on-one financial coaching for transitioning veterans (independent of discharge status) including help in identifying financial goals, creating a plan, and tracking process to achieve those goals. For more information, contact Gabriella Barthlow, (586) 783-1398.

Money management workshops help individuals/families understand the importance of creating a spending plan, saving for emergencies and paying down debt. Participants set personal and financial goals, learn the process of buying and maintaining a home, understand credit reports, rebuild credit, and become a confident investor. To register, call: (586) 469-7614 or https://msue.macombgov.org/MSUE-Programs-HousingFinancialEducation

Personal financial counseling helps miliary individuals and families with managing finances, resolving financial problems and reaching long-term goals (e.g., getting an education, buying a home, planning for retirement). Available from Military One Source, (800) 342-9647 


Money management including a confidential analysis of the size and nature of debt, creation of a plan to reduce that debt, advocacy with creditors, negotiation of payment rates and terms, processes of payments to creditors, and education on managing money. Available from: Green Path Solutions with offices in Eastpointe and Utica, (800) 994-5537 or www.greenpath.com 

Free confidential interview to analyze a family’s personal situation. If the family is unable to balance their budget, they may enroll in the debt management program. The debt management program will negotiate reduced payments with most of their creditors. The debt management fee is based on the amount of the debt, with the maximum charge being $50.00 per month. Available from: Consumer Credit Counseling Service, (586) 254-6011 (Utica) or (800) 547-5005 (Toll free). 

A free two-hour class for senior citizens on the following topics: household finances, protecting yourself from financial exploitation, understanding credit, retirement and estate planning at the Macomb County Family Resource Center, 196 North Rose, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043. For more information or a schedule of classes, call MSU Extension at (586) 469-5912.

Assistance in locating home care for a veteran and/or their spouse, including direct care for activities of daily living, coordination of other care such as skilled care, assistance with applying for veteran Aids and Attendance, Veteran’s Improved Pension is available from the Vets Constructing Communities Foundation, (313) 737-5428.

Veteran Dental Care is available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs;  however, the veteran must meet eligibility requirements. For more information, go to: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-442_dental_ben%20efits_for_veterans_2_14.pdf

VA’s comprehensive VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP) gives enrolled Veterans and CHAMPVA beneficiaries the opportunity to purchase dental insurance through Delta Dental and MetLife at a reduced cost. Participation is voluntary. Purchasing a dental plan does not affect the veterans’ eligibility for VA dental services and treatment.  Covered services include diagnostic, preventative, surgical, emergency and endodontic/restorative treatment. Delta Dental and MetLife are offering multiple plans.  Each participant pays the fixed monthly premiums for coverage and any co-payments required, depending on the type of plan selected. Dependents of Veterans, except those eligible under CHAMPVA, are not authorized to participate in VADIP. Those individuals may be eligible for separate dental insurance coverage offered by these carriers. For more information about VADIP, go to: https://www.va.gov/health-care/about-va-health-benefits/dental-care/dental-insurance/



A request for a copy of military records is requested from the State of Michigan website: www.michigan.gov/documents/dmva/standard-form-180 238208 7.pdf
A list of Federal Benefits for veterans, dependents and survivors is available online at: https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp 
A hotline to respond to questions from female veterans, their families and caregivers about the many VA services and resources available to women veterans is available from the Department of Veterans Affairs, (855) VA-WOMEN.
Guidance and help to navigate government benefits available to military personnel and their families. Available from the Wounded Warrior Project. For more information, go to: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
A guide detailing monetary, health care and employment services and support benefits, and outlines the interaction between government benefits and employment or self-employment for veterans with disabilities. The goal is to provide disabled veterans and their families enough information to understand how work income can affect benefits. It provides tools so they can stay financially secure while remaining eligible for supports and services, and assists in transitioning away from supports when appropriate, in a planned process. For more information or to download a copy, go to: vets.syr.edu/pdfs/benefits-guidebook.pdf    https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/article/navigating-government-benefits-and-employment/ 

24 hour telephone consultation for all active duty, Guard and Reserve regardless of activation status and their families for referrals to such needs as child care, spousal employment, income tax preparation, car repair, plumbing, money management, counseling, or relocation. Available from Military One Source, (800) 342-9647 or www.militaryonesource.com. (Services available in 140 languages).

Peer support and outreach from trained veterans for Michigan veterans of "Operation Enduring Freedom" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (OEF/OIF) is available from the Buddy-to-Buddy Program helping returning OEF/OIF veterans deal with the many challenges they may face when readjusting to civilian life. 4Services are voluntary, confidential and free. Callers will be matched with a veteran trained to help them find resources for mental heath, substance abuse, financial benefits, education, legal or job issues. Contact (888) 82-BUDDY (822-8339) or go to: https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa/other-benefits-and-resources/panel-state/buddy-

Free assistance and information in preparing, developing, and obtaining sufficient evidence to support claims for veterans’ benefits (compensation, pensions, loans, and medical benefits) and to assist claimants appealing to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals is available from the American Red Cross, Board of Veterans’ Appeals, (202) 565-4119, Washington, DC. 

Expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security (benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application) for military service members who become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurs is available from the Social Security Administration, (800) 772-1213 or visit: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/woundedwarriors

Information on community caregiver support resources and referrals for caregivers of veterans is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. and Saturday from 10:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. Available from the National Caregiver Support Line (855) 260-3274 or visit their website at http://www.caregiver.va.gov
Wounded Warrior Resource Consultants are available to assist wounded warriors of any era with navigating the VA health care and disability claims system.  Support may include, but not limited to, assistance with the following: pay and personnel issues, invitational travel orders, lodging and housing adaptations for the wounded warrior, child and youth care arrangements, transportation needs, legal and guardianship issues, education and training benefits, respite care, traumatic brain injury/post-traumatic stress support services.  Available from Wounded Warrior Resources - Military One Source (800) 342-9647 or http://www.militaryonesource.mil 

180 days of transition health benefits are available for all returning soldiers/ families. Members of the military enrolled in PRIME or Prime Remote during the deployment will need to re-enroll again for the Transitional Assistance period. For more information, contact the Tricare North Region Contractor, or go to the website: http://www.healthnetfederalservcies.comor by phone (877) 877-TRICARE (877-874-2273).

A full range of health care for veterans, to include prescription, surgery, counseling and rehabilitation. Soldiers may take advantage of this benefit for a two year period following deployment for illness potentially related to service in combat theater. To receive care, veterans must first enroll by submitting a VA Form 10-10EZ. For information about Veteran Administration services, benefits, and facility locations visit www.va.gov or call (800) 827-1000.

Voluntary premium-based health care coverage plan may be available to veterans who are members of the Selected Guard and Reserve. For more information, call (877) TRICARE (877-874-2273)or http://www.tricare.mil


Telephone reassurance and support is available from the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-TALK (8255) Press one for the Veteran’s line or visit their website at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Twelve (12) free counseling sessions (face-to-face, short-term focused telephone consultations or online consultations) for such issues as coping with deployment and return, adjusting to a new location, marital concerns, parenting and family matters, grief and loss, combat stress, etc. Available from http://www.militaryonesource.comor (800) 342-9647. (Services available in 140 languages).

Readjustment counseling to all veterans who have served in combat zones and their family members is provided at no cost to veterans or their families. To receive care, family and veterans need a copy of DD214 paperwork. Available from the Macomb Vet Center, Clinton Township, (586) 412-0107.

Free mental health services to returning military personnel and their families and to parents, siblings, and unmarried partners who are not entitled to receive mental health benefits through the military.  Services include: counseling to individuals, couples and families, and children and adolescents, treatment for anxiety, depression, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injuries, sexual health and intimacy concerns, and loss and grieving.) The military person visits the Give An Hour web site and clicks on "For Visitors" to get information on what to expect and how to choose a provider. She clicks on "Provider Search" to find someone offering individual counseling services near her former active-duty station. The military person obtains the counselor’s contact information from the list of providers and calls him to set up an appointment. After the appointment, the military person volunteers an hour of their time at a community site listed on the GAH website. Available from Give an Hour : www.giveanhour.org

If a veteran is in crisis, call 911, go to the nearest Emergency Room, or call 800- 273-TALK (800) 273-8255. (Spanish/Español (888) 628-9454). Press 1 for the veteran’s line.

The veteran will be directed to services through the Community Mental Health network, or to the nearest Emergency Room. Once referred, staff will assess the immediate need and obtain authorization for the appropriate level of care. Treatment may be provided in an inpatient unit or in an alternative community setting, according to best practices guidelines, Macomb County Community Mental Health or hospital policy, and the situation.
Deaf, hard of hearing, or speech-impaired persons, call the Michigan Relay Service - Dial 711

Information on PTSD is available on the VA website: http://www.ptsd.va.gov

Information on PTSD
is available from the National Center for PTSD website: http://www.ncptsd.va.gov

Information on PTSD is available from the PTSD Alliance, http://www.ptsdalliance.org

Evidence-based treatments for PTSD
(Prolonged Exposure Therapy and Cognitive Processing Therapy) is available at all VA Medical Centers. For a list of VA Medical Center, go to:  https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp 

Free counseling for combat veterans with PTSD is available from the Macomb Vet Center, Clinton Township, (586) 412-0107.

Education, advocacy, research opportunities, support and support groups to brain injury survivors their families, and the people who serve them is available from the United Brain Association. Website: https://unitedbrainassociation.org/about/

The Michigan Resource Guide for persons With Traumatic Brain Injury is available at: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/Michigan Resource Guide V3 201402 7.pdf


Housing and complete clinical services (including case management; individual and group counseling; substance abuse treatment; medical care; budgeting assistance; job interviewing and placement; anger management, and recreational opportunities) in a therapeutic community setting for 18 months for homeless veterans is available from Volunteers of America Veterans Housing Program. Available in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 489-5285 ext. 103 or visit: http://www.voami.org/Veterans-Programs 

A six-month weekday homeless service center open to both male and female veterans. This program also offers the assistance of the Veteran’s Case Manager and the physical and mental health services of the VA Medical Hospitals. Available in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 489-5285 ext. 103 or visit: www.voami.org/Veterans-Programs
A free newly-built or renovated specially-adapted house for disabled veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan is available from Homes for Our Troops. For more information, call Dan Higgins (248) 504-9843. Website: www.homesforourtroops.org 

A mortgage-free home in order to assist transition to civilian life is available to qualified combat-wounded veterans. After a period of stewardship, the home is then deeded to the combat-wounded veterans. Homes are available in multiple locations nationwide. Available from Military Warriors Support Foundation, (210) 615-8973 or visit: http://www.militarywarriors.org/contact-us


Specially-adapted homes built for severely wounded (minimum 30% permanently disabled) military heroes injured in theater during the Operation Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom is available from Homes for Heros, (888) 786-9531 Apply online at http://www.helpingahero.org Click the “Home Application" link on the right.

Retirement living, with access to continuing health care, for military officers (and their spouses) who served honorably (no qualified widow or widower is ever turned away due to inability to pay.) is available at Air Force Village 1 in San Antonio, Texas, (800) 724-5771.

A nursing home for eligible Michigan veterans and/or parents, widows, widowers, former spouses and spouses of eligible veterans and who were unable to care for themselves is available at:

Jacobetti Veterans Facility

Marquette, MI

Admissions Office
(800) 433-6760
or go to: https://www.michigan.gov/mvh

Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

Grand Rapids, MI

Admissions Office
(800) 642-4838



Emergency financial assistance to soldiers and their immediate family members is available by contacting your Family Assistance Center or Family Readiness Support Assistant.  For more information about the Michigan National Guard Family Fund and other financial assistance programs, visit http://www.minationalguard.com/fp_subdomain/family-fund/ or call (517) 481-4891 for information about the application process.

Temporary Financial Assistance is available to keep minor children of deceased or disabled veterans at home rather than in institutions and who are not covered by subsequent state and federal programs for the needy. Available from AMVETS through a local post which requests the cash assistance to help maintain the basic needs of veterans’ children (shelter, food, utilities and health expenses) when parents are unable. Membership in the American Veterans is not required. See the website for the specific requirements: http://www.legion.org/financialassistance For a list of your local AMVET post, go to: http://www.legion.org/posts

Temporary assistance granted for emergencies or hardships for eligible wartime veterans, and their families, residing in Michigan is available to provide the basic necessities of life in our society without causing a hardship. (Assistance is not available for long-term problems or chronic financial difficulties). Available from the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund with applications available at the Macomb County Department of Veterans Services, (586) 469-5315. 

Emergency assistance and morale to troops (all branches of the armed forces, including active duty, Guard and Reserve), and to the families they leave behind and to wounded warriors when they return home is available from Operation Homefront. Command officials, chaplains, family support centers and other military non-profits refer the cases. The rest of our cases come through their online community and word-of-mouth. https://operationhomefront.org/

Grants to qualifying families of military members in either the Michigan National Guard or Reserves who were called to active duty as a result of the national response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks is available from the Military Family Relief Fund,. For more information, call (866) 271-4404 or download the application form: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Application Form 128132 7.pdf

Emergency financial aid to disabled American veterans from the global War on Terror (utility bills, car payments, new car deposits, repair costs, and gasoline, mortgage and rent payments, groceries, home repairs, air travel, and lodging, school supplies and clothing, medical bills and co-payments, loans) is available from the Coalition to Salute America's Heroes, (914) 432-5400 or apply online at:  https://saluteheroes.org/get-help/emergency-financial-aid/ 

Improved Pension for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing, medication dosing, or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits.  It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity.  Assisted care in an Assisted Living facility also qualifies.  This is a "Pension Benefit" and IS NOT dependent upon service-related injuries for compensation.  Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, Nursing Home or Assisted Living facility.  A veteran is eligible for up to $1,738 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $1,130 per month.  A veteran with a spouse is eligible for up to $2,085 per month and a veteran with a sick spouse is eligible for up to $1,380 per month. For more information, go to: http://www.veteranaid.org/index.php To apply, go to http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php 
Gift certificates purchased by friends, families or groups which allow services members to purchase items at PX and BX facilities around the world. Certificates can be purchased from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service and addressed to a specific service member. Or certificates can be purchased and addressed to "any service member" and sent to the Red Cross for distribution. To purchase a gift certificate, log on to www.aafes.comor call (877) 770-4438. The American Red Cross distributes the gift certificates through its Armed Forces Emergency Services staff members who are deployed.
Personal Financial Counseling to help military individuals and families with managing finances, resolve financial problems and reach long-term goals such as getting an education, buying a home and planning for retirement. Available from Military One Source, (800) 342-9647 or www.militaryonesource.mil


* Free shuttle transportation for a veteran with a confirmed morning appointment (before 11:30 A.M.) at the John Dingel VA Medical Center in Detroit

Transportation is available for Monday - Friday appointments only, scheduled before 11:30 A.M. Wheelchair bound veterans can be accommodated Wednesday through Friday ONLY and must be able to get to the curb.

The veteran must be at the pick-up location by 7:00 A.M. (unless specified otherwise by your driver).

To be placed on the pick-up schedule, a transportation request must be received at least 48 hours in advance or 5 days in advance for veterans using wheelchairs.

To make an appointment, call the Macomb Department of Veteran Services, (586) 469-5315 and have the following information ready:

• Veteran's name

• Last 4 numbers of the veteran’s social security number

• Vetern’s Telephone number

• Time of VA appointment

• Desired pick-up location


- Old Settler VFW Post 4659, 8311 Wilson Drive, Shelby Twp., MI 48316
- Vietnam Veterans Chapter 154, 18025 Fifteen Mile Road, Roseville, MI 48066
- Vets Returning Home, 17955 Eleven Mile Road, Roseville, MI 48066
- Salvation Army, 42590 Stepnitz Drive, Clinton Twp., MI 48036
- VerKuilen Building, 21885 Dunham Road, Clinton Twp., MI 48036
Air transportation for medical and other compassionate purposes to wounded warriors, veterans, and their families (priority is for on the Veterans of Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) through a national network of volunteer aircraft owners and pilots. Any veteran or active duty military person undergoing continuing medical care is eligible for transportation between the medical facility and from his/her home. A medical release from a physician may be required for travel. Passengers (family or a very close personal friend of the veteran) are transported to and from the medical facility for the benefit of the service member/veteran, not the passengers. Passenger eligibility requires the service member/veteran to be undergoing continuing medical care, either hospitalized or as an outpatient. Available from Veteran’s Airlift Command (VAC), http://www.veteransairlift.org  or call the VAC offices at 952-582-2911 to start the process.


Identification of employment opportunities that match the veteran’s qualifications and career interests is available by calling the Veterans’ Hotline, (800) 455-5228 or visit their website at http://www.mitalent.org/Veteran

A website that provides for National Guard, Reserve, retired and transitioning active-duty military members connect to career and training opportunities in the construction industry.
This program employs several Regional Directors and volunteers who take an active role in connecting veterans to career and training opportunities. Available from Helmets to Hardhats, http://www.helmetstohardhats.org

A job listing and resume posting, advice and interview tips website for military veterans
is available at www.careerbuilder.com. Employers who seek to hire veterans may post their job opportunities for free. For more information, contact Operation Hero for Hire, at https://www.hireheroesusa.org/

Comprehensive employment and training program designed to address employment barriers. A continuum of supportive services will be provided and coordinated, giving homeless veterans the ability to participate in job skills training programs while meeting their basic needs. Available from the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program of Volunteers of America with services provided in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 484-4414 ext. 103 or visit their website:  http://www.voami.org/Services/Veterans-Programs

Low interest loans to veterans and members of the military community wanting to establish or expand a small business
which may be used for most business purposes, including start-up, expansion, equipment purchases, working capital, inventory or business-occupied real-estate purchases. Available from U.S. Small Business Administration - Patriot Express Loans, Michigan District office: (313) 226-6075 or visit: https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/pa/pittsburgh/resources/sba-business-loan


A website of grants for veterans, military science students, or dependents is available at: http://staff.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/3veteran.htm

A free semester of classes at Western Michigan University for service members following their discharge or leave from active duty.
A veteran who is eligible for VA benefits should apply within six months of his/her deployment and must begin taking classes within the six month period. Available from Western Michigan University - Veteran’s Department, (269) 387-6000 or visit their website at https://wmich.edu/military  

Undergraduate tuition grant of up to $2,800 for the eligible children (older than 16 and less than 26 years old) of certain deceased military personnel or totally and permanently disabled veterans is available from the Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority, (517) 373-3394. Application forms can be downloaded at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mistudentaid/CVTGFactSheet2016-17_532792_7.pdf and click on "Forms & Documents".

Payments for post-secondary education in Michigan for children of a disabled or deceased veteran or missing in action is available from the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund - Tuition Grant program. Information and application forms are available at the Macomb Veteran’s Affairs office Macomb County Veteran’s Services, (586) 469- 5315. http://vets.macombgov.org/Vets-Home or visit: http://www.va.gov

Scholarships to Macomb Community College (MCC) for U.S. Armed Forces veterans from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, their spouses, and children is available from the James and Dorothy Stanton Foundation. For more information, call the MCC Financial Aid office, (586) 445-7228 or visit their websits at:  

General page about
all forms of aid
Just scholarships http://www.macomb.edu/future-students/paying-for-college/scholarships.html 
Search for a specific
scholarshiop at MCC

A list of veteran-friendly schools committed to providing on-campus, veteran-centric services to better support their academic and transitional needs. Available from the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency website: https://michiganvets.force.com/veteranfriendlyschools/s/dashboard


Peer support and outreach from trained veterans for Michigan veterans of "Operation Enduring Freedom" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (OEF/OIF) is available from the Buddy-to-Buddy Program helping returning OEF/OIF veterans deal with the many challenges they may face when readjusting to civilian life. Services are voluntary, confidential and free. Callers will be matched with a veteran trained to help them find resources for mental heath, substance abuse, financial benefits, education, legal or job issues. Contact (888) 82-BUDDY or go to https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa/other-benefits-and-resources/panel-state/buddy-

Building connections between wounded warriors/establishing a network of peers to provide assistance, friendship, and inspiration is available from the Wounded Warrior Project, wwpservice@woundedwarriorproject.org


Community Center for veterans and their families who have served in all branches and wars. Activities include connection with job opportunities, free events and services, peer mentors, educational classes. Proof of military status required: valid DD-214, VA Card, Copy of Active Duty Orders, or Military ID. For family members: a photo ID that shows the same last name. Should the last name be different, bring a Birth or Marriage Certificate that shows the relationship to the Veteran. Available from Haven Place in New Haven, MI. For more information, call (586) 484-8540.  Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/events/724296194283800/ 

Sports teams for wounded veterans with no minimum qualification times, nor specific level of injury or maximum number of participants.  All veterans with disabilities or injuries are invited to participate as a member of the team to the extent that they feel comfortable.  For more information, contact Bryan Belcher, bryanbelcher85@gmail.com or (910) 639-6436.

Hunting, fishing, camping trips and other outdoor recreational activities for disabled soldiers is available from Operation Injured Soldier, (248) 437-1144.

A hockey program designed for disabled veterans is available from Michigan Warriors Hockey. Eligible veterans must have or apply for a disability rating from the VA to be eligible.  Practices are held in Royal Oak. In the fall of 2016, three other practice sites will be added.  Teams are assigned by region: either Ann Arbor or Metro Detroit. Games are played all over the region. Participation in charitable activities is also available. To register to join, go to www.miwarriors.com

Recreational (skiing, snow boarding, snowshoeing, wilderness walk, etc ) and cultural (art, drama, music, etc) experiences for wounded warriors with cognitive or physical disabilities. Available from Challenge Aspen - Military Opportunities, Colorado. For more information, call TTY: (970) 923-0578.  https://challengeaspen.org/military/ 

Scuba diving for injured servicemen and women at fort Campbell in Kentucky. Available from Underwater Warriors. For more information, call (931) 431-5700. https://www.underwaterwarriors.org/

A week of free lodging at a vacation home donated by a homeowner is available to Purple Heart Medal recipients from the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns is available from Vacations for Veterans, (800) 831 8803 or visit: www.vacationsforveterans.org


Burial in a VA national cemetery is available for eligible veterans, their spouses and dependents at no cost to the family and includes the grave site, grave liner, opening and closing of the grave, a headstone or marker, and perpetual care as part of a national shrine. For veterans, benefits also include a burial flag (with case for active duty) and military funeral honors. Family members and other loved ones of deceased veterans may request Presidential Memorial Certificates. The National cemeteries in Michigan accepting internments:

The Fort Custer National Cemetery 
15501 Dickman Road
Augusta, MI 49012
(269) 731-4164 

Great Lakes National Cemetery
Grand Mall and Office Center
4200 Belford
Holly, MI 48442
(866) 348-8603 

Information on burial benefit, headstones and markers, Presidential Memorial Certificates, cemeteries, nationwide grave site locator, burial flags, burial allowance, eligibility for benefits and women and minority veterans is available from the National Cemetery Administration at: http://www.cem.va.gov 

Assistance with funeral expenses for veterans and spouses with assets less than $50,000, excluding the family residence, are eligible. The veteran must have received an Honorable Discharge from the United States Armed Forces, with at least 90 days of recognized war time service or two years of peacetime service. Spouses of veterans are not eligible for a government marker. One thousand dollars ($1000.00) toward burial benefits and $100.00 toward the cost of installing a Government Marker are available. For more information, contact the Department of Veteran Services, (586) 469-5315.

Shielding a mourning family of a fallen military member and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors (accomplished through strictly legal and non-violent means). Available from Patriot Guard Riders http://www.patriotguard.org The Michigan State Captain contact is Sam Cottle, hgpreacherman@gmail.com

Free online tax preparation and filing services for the military. The service allows you to complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax returns or filings. The Military OneSource Tax Consultants will be available 7 days a week. Access the link through the Military OneSource homepage which lists eligibility is only available on the website during the tax season. For more information, go to: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/financial-legal/taxes/miltax-military-tax-services/

Free income tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, veterans, and limited English speaking taxpayers. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing. The current guidelines are available at the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers, Available during the tax season. For more information, contact Macomb Community Action, (586) 463-2537.


Financial assistance for wounded, ill, and injured Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) honorably discharged veterans with a VA disability rating and who are experiencing an unexpected financial setback. Money is available for mortgage, rent, auto loan, auto insurance, electric, natural gas, heating petroleum. All past due bills must be at least 30 days in arrears to qualify. Only one emergency financial request per household and one time only. To apply, download the Emergency Financial Assistance Application from:www.penfedfoundation.org and email to: militaryheroes@penfed.org


Veteran-Specific Legal Services

- Free Legal Clinic for Macomb veterans who are low income and/or over 60 years of age. Advice to eligible clients includes: Civil matters, including divorce, custody, child support, parent time, personal protection orders, public benefits, consumer protection, mortgage or tax foreclosures, landlord-tenant matters, driver’s license restoration and expungements. (No criminal, traffic, or juvenile court related issues.) Clinic begins at 1:00 P.M. All clients must be signed in by 3:00 P.M. Services available on the fourth Thursday of the month. Available from Lakeshore Legal Aid, Oakland County Veteran Services: Troy: (248) 655-1250; Pontiac: (248) 858-0785

- Free and low-cost legal services to active duty, retired and separated service members and their dependents. A Referral to an attorney who will provide legal services based on ability to pay is available. An attorney for walk-in assistance is available on Fridays from 12:00 Noon - 5:00 P.M. Additionally, clinic hours are held on weekends . Available from Sailor Soldier and Marine Access Center, www.ssamac.org or call (586) 359-2195 for an intake interview.

- Free or low cost legal services for veterans, including discharge or appealing a disability determination. Legal matters covered: Family Law, Consumer Rights & Debt Advocacy, Estate/Probate Law, Housing Law, Bankruptcy, Benefits Advocacy & Disability Law. Also, a legal need pertains to a discharge or appealing a disability determination by the Department of Veterans Affairs. VetLex is a system that links U.S. veterans, veteran service organizations, and qualified pro bono or “low-bono” attorneys nationwide. Providers stand ready, willing and able to offer the legal services needed. Available online only from VetLex: https://vetlex.org/

General Legal Services

- A referral for a lawyer is available from the Macomb County Bar Association Legal Referral Services, (586) 468-8300 http://www.macombbar.org/page/ReferralMAIN. Services may be accessed 24/7 or call the Bar Association during regular business hours. Products that may help include:

  • Metro Detroit Find A Lawyer is a lawyer directory accessible 24/7 for people looking for legal services.
  • Community Lawyer is also accessible 24/7 and through the hotline they are able to provide the citizen with detailed assistance in identifying a lawyer or some other service that may lend assistance to their issue. The referral service hotline is (586) 468-8300.

Both products help people with local legal issues find local lawyers that have the experience and confidence of the Bar Association.

Free or low cost legal advice and representation on civil matters for low- and moderate-income individuals who are U.S. citizens or legal residents is available from:

Legal Aid and Defender Association, Macomb County Office    Toll-free: (877) 964-4700                 
Lakeshore Legal Aid

   (888) 783-8190, lakeshorelegalaid.org

   Monday - Thursday, 9:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. and

   Friday, 9:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.

Davis-Miller Law

   Provides referrals and performs some free legal services

   for non-veterans. (586) 359-2195


Legal representation for a crime under state or federal laws and unable to afford an attorney is available from the State Defender Office, (313) 967-5555 OR Federal Defender Office (313) 961-4150.

Legal aid for persons with two misdemeanors and/or one felony (DUIs and traffic offenses cannot be expunged.). Available from Lakeshore Legal Aid , (888) 783-8190, Monday - Thursday, 9:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. and Fridays from 9:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.